• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing Rib Spacing on Scaled Wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

First post, so please be gentle! :)

After spending hours and hours in the archive, I'm not seeing anything that addresses my specific question, so I'll throw it out here.

I'm considering an adaptation of the venerable Bearhawk aircraft so that it better meets the desires of my mission. This essentially "scales up" the design 15% in all dimensions so it's roomier. As a side effect, I'm hoping to gain some useful load.

Beginning with the wing, it is an all-aluminum NACA4412 with a 65-5/8" chord, with rib spacing of 14".

I located a NASA tech note in the archive:

Relation of rib spacing to stress in wing planes (May 1, 1920) - A. Zahm
https://archive.org/details/nasa_techdoc_19930080799

In it, it states:

CONCLUSION - Considering therefore the wing plane simply as a static structure, and ignoring the question of aerodynamic efficiency, it appears that the unit stress of the rib and fabric will remain constant for constant p if the linear dimensions of both rib and fabric increase alike, viz., if wing and fabric remain geometrically similar. Since the bulge as well as the structural dimensions remain geometrically similar, the whole distended plane remains so, and hence should have the same pressure distribution and efficiency. If there the Burgess rule of making the rib spacing always one-fifth of the chord of the plane be valid for any one plane, it must be valid for all others that are mechanically similar in structure and covering.

Doing the math, the rib spacing in the existing wing design is 1/5 of the chord as described in the above tech note. Scaling up that wing (and all of its associated innards, structural and all) 15% returns a chord of 75-1/2" and a spacing of 16", which is also 1/5 of the chord of the upscaled wing.

Given the age of the report, and that math doesn't change that often, does this remain a valid observation? Is it reasonable to use this as a starting point before going down the road?

I'm confident in the strength and the durability of the original wing, as it met failure at 6774 pounds static weight, 6.4g. Any thoughts or concerns on proportional dimension changes?

I'll address the fuselage updates in a later post, but thought I'd start here.

Many thanks and best regards,
Chris

Back