• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

new use for high speed router

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expedition2166

i know theres a few guys out there looking for a ''easy'' way to grind out notches for tight tube work well by accident i have found a decent way to do it relatively easy theres alot of us tinkerers with old high speed hand routers well most have a 1/4 in shank (unless you got a bigun ) and theres alot of high speed stones for air tools that are 1/4 shank any diameter you'll need and just flip your router over pop it in clamp a fence to the base and grind away and makes a almost perfect cut since the stone is round and the same size as what your notching sort of a ''ghetto'' way of doin it but hey it beats the angle grinder method and air grinder method if your compressor is like mine making the lights dim when it kicks on it might save a few bucks in the long run and its nice clean sharp cut you could even make you a few wedges of different angles so you can do complex cuts

just something to think about

AND
no I'm not saying tube notchers arnt the best way
but if your notching a few tubes then why spend the money when you can rig up a lil contraption out of stuff you may already have and this works surprisingly well

Back