• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Losing lbs and making it legal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mate88

Project - restore Flightstar and meet FAR Part 103.
Impossible? Perhaps but I'm giving it a go!
Engine: Rotax 503 single carb. B box
Mods:
1. Ditch all the electrical components (flywheel, points, spark and lighting coils, regulator etc.)
All I need is a spark w/kill switch so I am adopting simple tech using rotating alum disc w/magnets attached and stationary coils @ 180 deg similar to the millions of two cycle engines worldwide (chainsaw, lawnmower, outboard etc.) Don't believe it? Look at Limbach engines. Mine will have adjustable positioning to optimize timing at start and full/cruise power settings
2. Ditch fan cooling system and all the associated tin. Cut the cooling fins from part of the heads so they can be rotated 90 deg, weld additional fins to 'balance' cooling rates. Must have temp sensor on rear head. Add lightweight (2024 Alum) scoop for rear cyl head.
3. All rotating/reciprocating bits will be balanced to within a gnats nut.
4. Duplicate exhaust in lighter gage sheet steel. (Looking at design of expan chamber sustem per 2-stroke wizard - will use only if lightest.)

More to follow............

Back