• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do I get this Great Plains VW to start????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim55

This is for you smart people to solve:

In the past I built a BMW (fuel injected) and skidoo engines into airplanes. They were easy to start.

Now I am installing a Great Plains 2300 engine. It is a great product! Following the manual 100% I thought that this will go smoothly - it did until I tried to start the beast!

What I have is:
1. Engine, new in crate, assembled and ran at Great Plains.
2. New Fairbanks-Morse X4B 16A (Anti-clockwise) magneto
3. Dehl power supply and starter from Great Plains
4. Zenith 2122 carb from Great Plains
5. Fuel pump from Great Plains

Everything have been installed to specifications
1. Magneto fires at #1 cylinder at exactly 28 BTDC
2. Spark plugs are similar to Bosch W8A, gaps are .017"
3. Firing sequence has been checked and re-checked. Correct. All are firing
4. Intake manifold does not leak. Carburetor set as instructed. Adequate fuel and air.

I have tried for two days to start her - with priming, without priming, with choke, without choke. Between every try I let the starter and cables cool.

The engine turns over and very soon 1 or 2 cylinders fire, then stops. A few turns later one or two fire, then nothing. All cylinders get hot.

What have I missed?

Thanks Jim

Back