• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Learning to fly without instructor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi all!

Does any of you know or at least has heard from someone who has been able to learn to fly by himself alone? Of course I mean without any kind of instruction, like what did the wrights, Otto Liliental or de la Cierva back in their days.

Even if that under PART 103 it is not mandatory to hold any kind of license I tend to think that most pilots flying in this category have followed some kind of instruction prior to fly.

I believe so since it does not seem to be a high level of accidents in the deregulated categories (part 103: three axis, pendular, powered paragliders... wich represent a considerable number of pilots) than if compared with the rest of aircraft categories. I know I am jumping into conclusions without knowing the exact details but there are no specific statistics available refering particularly to Part 103 accidents.

https://www.ntsb.gov/data/aviation_stats.html

Oriol

Back