• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kawasaki 440 problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

I'm trying to get my himax up and running and I keep running in to engine issues. The engine is a Kawasaki 440a with 6hrs and it has been sitting the last 4 years.

My first attempt to start it revealed no spark and a fried cdi so I installed a new cdi box after which the engine fired right up but wouldn't idle for more than 2 minutes before quitting. I removed the carb (mikuni), soaked it in avgas overnight, then blew out all the passages with compressed air and installed new seals. Just for good measure I also rebuilt the fuel pump.

After doing the above I attempted to run the engine again tonight with less than perfect results. She won't run below 3000rpm and with the throttle set at 3000 she surges between 2500rpm and 3500rpm every few seconds, if I bump the primer as the rpm falls the engine accelerates again. When I advance the throttle to 4000rpm the engine becomes very rough and the egt on the rear cylinder drops 150deg. This continues up to 5000rpm where she once again starts surging 200 to 300 rpm every few seconds. If you continue to advance the throttle to wide open She stops surging about 6000rpm and then quits suddenly. At the time she quits the egt is steady at 1100deg.

I'm pulling my hair out, trying to figure this out. I've adjusted the float level up and down, new spark plugs and a new primer. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my engine is acting like this?

Chris

Back