• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

VHF antenna magic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrzemekMac

Hi. I have this plane (photo) with RAMI VHF antenna mounted on top. Antenna is mounted to grounded (connected do frame) cooper plate. Antenna is solid-statne (not tuneable).
The problem is. Last time I saw that I have a little bit low range. Second, when I was in my friend aerodrome with 118,875 frequency i saw that I can't transmit because I have interferences in my headsets.

I checked the antenna. On 122.300 i have SWR=1:2,5 on 136,900 i have 1:1,5 and on 118.000 i have 1:3 !!
I cleaned all groundings, no effect. I replaced my antenna for COM antenna from beechcraft. Still I have high SWR. I replaces antenna cable (h155) - no difference.
I tried another radio, no effect.

Why solid-state antennas on my plane don't work?

Back