• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The most basic question ever asked on HBA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviast

OK I've received my plans and am ready to cut metal except... I don't know how to transcribe the plans onto the metal!

So the firewall is a squashed-oval shape with tabs around the outside; I'm sure that's pretty typical. The plans show one-half the firewall to the centre-line.

So I've got my piece of 26-gauge gal steel and I need to copy the lines onto the steel so that I know where to cut. What's the process for doing this?

The only thing I can think of is to cut out the plans and trace around them but that won't work because:
  1. I just paid $550 for these plans and I ain't cuttin' them!
  2. Some of the parts overlap on the plans.
I've been reading about aircraft homebuilding for over twenty years and I've never read any articles or instructions about how to perform such a basic task. How can this be?! Is it SO simple that any fool can figure it out???

What other "basics" have I missed?

Back