• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Any FreeCAD users?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

Is there anyone else out there in HBA Land that is using FreeCAD?

I looked at several and then picked FreeCAD because it seemed to have the most capability of the freeware CAD programs, with no limitations (that is, not a trial version), and I am looking for someone who can give me some tips and/or 'moral support';). I was some what apprehensive about it being only version 0.xx---not even up to version 1.0.

One thing I like about it is that you can enter precise coordinates, instead of just drawing with the mouse which isn't anywhere near precise enough.

What I am trying to do is create a part (landing gear) that I can then import into a FEA program for analysis. The part is both curved and tapered, with an elliptical curve and linear taper.

I have tried a couple of different ways to do it, and do have a wire frame version, but have not been able to turn it into a solid. It seems that I get so far, and then the program crashes. Sometimes I do something and the drawing disappears and I have to exit the program and start over.

Back