• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Buttercup tail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berridos

Hi guys

I was defining the parameters of my high wing plane (similar to Buttercup but cleaner).
Starting with the initial guessing I saw the the leverarm for the horizontal tail is 2,7 the wing chord. Strojnik recommends not less than 3,5.
Wittman seems to compensate that, using a fairly thick inverted clark Y tail airfoil.
The tail surface is 26 sqft and maybe 23sqft netting for the fuselage tail (dont have the data in front of me).
My standard calculated value is 23.6sqft, if I estimate a 0,4 additional lift coefficient with full flaps.
Do you think he used Clark Y because of stability reasons or because of stol characteristics?
Would you think it could make sense to put a horizontal stabiliser with an inverted GA37315 or with less pitch a NACA747315
How a re the stall characteristics of the NACA747315
I suppose the pitch in the tail thru the lever arm becomes an important criteria.

Back