• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wood to Metal Joints/Junctions for Replica Spitfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hello All;

I have been lurking at another aviation forum, but knew I'd be asking questions here sooner or later.

My goal is to build a 75% scale Spitfire. Over the last few months, this goal has altered itself from an all metal Mk IX to a Mk XIV. I am really struggling with the decision to, perhaps, make this aircraft out of wood, not metal. I REALLY wanted it to be all metal, but it would obviously add some serious complications, new tools, a second person to buck all rivets, perfect shapes of various parts, that aren't adjustable after fabrication, cranked aluminum wing spars, etc. The leading edge skins alone would be a real challenge.

So, at the moment, I will start to take wood more seriously. As well, the 75%wood fuselage mockup I have in my basement was child's play to build, although a lot more care would be taken for the real machine.

One big question I have is about wood-to-metal joints or junctions. How, for example, do you transition from wood longerons to metal engine mounts? If I want try to have detachable wings, like the original Spitfire, how might I end a spar of wood and add a metal "coupler" ? I would probably make the stub spars on Frame 5 (familiar with Spitfire construction?) out of aluminum, like the real thing.

So, any thoughts on wood longeron-to-metal engine mount transitioning?

I'll have lots more as time goes by.

Thanks, Tom Kay, Ottawa Canada.

Back