• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aging 6061-T4 to 6061-T6 - What's the catch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been weighing various aluminum sheet selections against the formability requirements for my design. The hard tempers impose limitations on formability; the formable tempers have reduced yields limits. I have tried forming a particular bulkhead (the usual problems with shrinking and stretching the flanges) and find I am able to form it in both 2024-T0 (no suprises there) and 6061-T4.

My question is this:

Can I get the 6061-T4 artificially aged to T6 without going through the solution heat process again (I don't want to deal with deformations associated with the quench)?

MIL-H-6088G seems to indicate that T4 temper can be artificially aged to T6 by 18 hours at 310-330 degrees F followed by an air cool.

Does this seem right? Or is there a catch. I've not seen a lot of posts on people using 6061-T4 and heat treating to T6...

Back