• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fabric selection and coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lake_harley

Supporting Member
I hope to soon be facing the covering process on a very simple ultralight I'm building. It is a aluminum tubing structure. Only the wings and tail will be covered. By my estimates it should be about 425# gross weight (I'm rather light). Aircraft Spruce offers some "house brand" 1.7 or 1.8 Oz. Dacron at a price that's very attractive. Does anyone here have personal experience with that fabric?

I have, and have read, the Poly-Fiber covering book including their section on ultralights. I have been very weight conscious in the entire build. I have also read up on using latex paint (I really DO like flat black). Does anyone know what the weight comparison of latex Vs. Poly Fiber's "ultralight" recommendations would be? They recommend for really light coatings that after one coat of Poly Brush you can go with a couple coats of certain colors that have the aluminum pigment for UV protection. Other reports I've seen recommend going with Poly Spray after the Poly Brush and leaving it at that. I don't see leaving the ultralight oudoors, so long term UV is really not my ultimate concern. Saving some money would be nice but I'm more interested in saving some weight. I'm not after "best of show" but don't want a hideous plane either. Total Sq. Ft. of the covered surfaces will be about 320 Sq. Ft.

Thanks, in advance, for input and reports from personal experience.

By the way I read back through the threads that I found searching "latex paint" on this forum and really didn't think some of my questions were particularly addressed.

Lynn

Back