• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another darn newby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramtuff

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking here for the past few days and decided to join up. I started building a Mustang Aeronautics Mustang II, but the realization that it's going to take quite a few years as time and money allow to complete this craft, leads me on the search for another project. Don't worry, I do plan to finish the Mustang one day, but I'd like a fairly inexpensive and quick project to put in the air first. Reason being, I really don't feel like spending $120 an hour for a C172 when I could be putting along in my own aircraft.

I would like to find a kit in the $8-13K range, so my completed costs will come in under $20K. Since I will finish the Mustang one day, I want to build something a little different...I'm attracted to the biplane kits and would love an open cockpit. I looked at the Murphy Renegade, but the kit is ~$13K or ~$20K for the quick build kit. I also looked at the Ultimate 10-100, and am awaiting an e-mail back concerning kit pricing, but I'm sure it will be more than the Renegade is. Can anyone else make some other suggestions? It seems like all the other biplanes I've seen are either plans only, out of my preferred price range in kit form, or no longer in production. I would really prefer a kit as I'd like to keep my build time to under 800 hours.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or hi-tech...something decent looking, fun to fly, one or two seat (would like a two seater, but I'll go with a single seat if need be), a cruise speed between 85-120 knots, and a couple hundred mile range. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Ian

Back