• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

CA to ID trip report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Engineer

This report is kind of old but thought I would share anyways. I didn't get to go this year because of a deployment...:depressed

California Bay area to Idaho Backcountry in a two stroke powered Avid Flyer. Before you say I'm too nuts I'm an Idaho native and learned to fly in the mountains there.

Day one- Left after work and only had two hours to fly before dark.....Nut Tree, CA over the Sierras to Nervino,CA Threw up my tent between two hangars and layed there till sun up waiting to blast out again.

Day two- Nervino-Denio Junction, NV-Weiser,Idaho-Grangeville,ID-CPTPA outside of Headquarters Idaho I logged just over 10hrs this day.

Weather went to crap for a few days but I enjoyed myself visiting with family and doing some fishing.

Wednesday a good friend and I flew all over the Northfork of the Clearwater River area. We saw Bertha Hill Lookout, Bungalow, Clarke Mt Lookout, Chateau Rock, Weitas Butte Lookout, Rockyridge Lake, Austin Ridge Lookout, Petersons Corner, Weippe, and my buddies job site he is currently logging on. We had a great flight.

Wednesday Evening I flew down to Orofino, Idaho (S68) and spent the night with Dad.

Thursday morning I blasted out early and headed for McCall for fuel which was about 2 hours away. I had a nice flight down the Salmon River and saw quite a few Elk. I fueled in McCall for $6.16 a gallon!! After McCall I headed into Johnson Creek. It was still early so I dumped my camp gear and headed for the Middle Fork of the Salmon where I heard everyone had gone for Breakfast. I flew over Mackey Bar just as Rob in his 170 was taking off. I joined in with him and Bryan in his Mooney, Rob, and I landed Wilson Bar. It was getting late and I had already been flying about 3.5hrs that day so we just flew back Johnson Creek and I set up my camp.

Friday morning we flew down to the Flying B ranch in the Salmon for Breakfast. On approach I stopped by Bernard real quick. After Breakfast I left the gaggle and did a warm up landing at Soldier Bar and then flew up to Mile Hi. At Mile HI I went for a lengthy hike to the top of the Mountain. I was huffing and puffing up there at 6500ft. The view was 100% worth it though! After Mile Hi I flew back to Johnson Creek to get ready for the arrival of my cousin Matt. Friday night he gave his awesome presentation about the proper response to Adversity. If you would like to check out him or his book go to www.mattpotratz.com

Saturday morning we blasted out for Sulpher Creek. I flew with an awesome family. The Mom and Dad were in a Super Cub and their two sons were flying a Rans S-6. We were the first ones into Sulpher Creek and had a great Breakfast. After Sulpher we flew to Indian Creek, Thomas Creek, Mahoney, and then to Lower Loon. At Lower Loon we finally took the time to hike up the hotsprings and soak for a bit. It was really hot! They are also serving food at Lower Loon now. Saturday I made the mistake of staying out till after 11 and I paid for it. It was really rough flying back to Johnson Creek. At times I was climbing or descending at up to 2000 feet per minute. I was glad to be back on the ground at Johnson Creek!

As always the Saturday night Potluck and Raffle was amazing! We even had live music out there for a while!

The Idaho backcountry should really be on your Bucket List. If you fly smart, stay light, and respect the conditions it's very doable to fly a small plane back there.

Alvord Desert Oregon on the way to Idaho. This place is really cool and a great spot to practice deadstick landings.

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

My hometown strip up in Idaho
IMG_4386.jpg

Watch out for Elk!
IMG_4426.jpg

Some awesome country up there
IMG_4438.jpg

Flying down the Salmon River
IMG_4463.jpg

A Supercub slipping it into Wilson Bar
IMG_4484.jpg

This guy in the Mooney flies this thing into just about anything out there.
IMG_4478.jpg

This was my first trip with my 396. The terrain feature is awesome!
IMG_4471.jpg

Looking down the strip at Johnson Creek
IMG_4499.jpg

You feel pretty puny flying around out there
IMG_4490.jpg

Rocking out in the Backcountry
IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

See my plane way down there?
IMG_4543.jpg

Approach end of 17 at Johnson Cr
IMG_4569.jpg

You've got to have two fat tires!
IMG_4575.jpg

The lodge at Sulpher Creek
IMG_4603.jpg

Landing Sulpher Creek
IMG_4605.jpg

Indian Creek
IMG_4613.jpg

The approach into Mahoney is fun
IMG_4623.jpg

The Lower Loon hot springs. It's pretty wild when your sitting 3ft from 35 degree runoff water in 105 degree mineral water.

IMG_4637.jpg

Two old friends reunited. Notice my cowling and his fuse. I bought my FWF from John 7 years ago off Barnstormers when my restoration began. Also notice the difference in height between my gear and the stock gear. We have the same size tires.

IMG_4650.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

Johnson Creek from 11,500ft
IMG_4645.jpg

The lodge at Lower Loon. These guys bring in their groceries by mule. It's an 11hr 30 mile ride in there they told us.

IMG_4640.jpg

My cousin's oldest Boy getting his very first airplane ride
IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

The long journey back west after an amazing trip!
IMG_4680.jpg

Video I put together

https://vimeo.com/48347573

Back