• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C5Engineer

I've lurked around here for a while but decided to join. The amount of knowledge and tech info here is amazing. What a wonderful resource!! I'm a 33 yr old Active Duty Airforce guy stationed at Travis AFB in the East Bay area of CA. I was a KC-135 Boom Operator for about 7 years and spent 4 years of that overseas refueling everything from the mighty C-5 Galaxy to British Tornadoes. Being 19 and living overseas was a total blast!! In 2005 I had the opportunity to cross train to become a C-5 Flight Engineer and I've been doing that ever since. Running the takeoff data for an 840,000 lb takeoff will get your attention! What we do is amazing.

My Avid has a long history as well. It was built by a fellow out of Arlington WA and first flown in 1992. He sold it and somehow it wound up with NSI Subaru and was used as a prototype to hang one of their fuel injected Soobs on the nose with a big PSRU. The airplane was so nose heavy that even with 40lbs on the tail it was still not safe to fly. The plane was bought and sold and moved around a few times but never flown. My Dad found it in a barn 16 years later and snatched it up. I found a FWF 582 package on Barnstormers from a guy who had moved up to a Jab. After a lengthy ground up restoration and help from a lot of people she flew again in 2009. I've since put just over 300 hours on it and have an absolute blast flying it. It fits my mission and budget perfectly.

Attachments

• Avid Alvord.jpg
    Avid Alvord.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 121
Back