• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Looking for ideas for a wooden biplane project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEnomore

Hi guys,

I'm looking to start a project over the next few years, either restoring an old aircraft or buidling a replica, preferably from a kit. The requirements being: biplane or triplane, tandem two-seater with both seats facing forward, open cockpit, "easy" to fly (or at least not superbly hard such that my son couldn't do it as a teen), acrobatic enough to fly upside-down, loops, etc., HISTORIC (at least looks like a WWI-era wood and cloth airplane, if not an exact replica of one. Open to alternative construction methods like aluminum tubing, but on the outside it should look WWI-era), reasonably safe, decent parts availability or at least reasonable to reproduce the parts.

To demonstrate what I have in mind, I'm thinking of a Standard J but with a rotary engine, more power, and more acrobatic capability. Anyone have any ideas that fit the bill? I know it's pretty demanding... I'm looking for the Fokker Dr.I (or a biplane) in a 2-seater, essentially, but preserving the acrobatic capability.

Thanks,
Bob

Back