• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need to find lightweight hydraulic cylinders for retracts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ardent

I'm looking to find a hydraulic cylinder with a ~1" bore and 4"-6" stroke (easy), but it's gotta be light (tougher). All the industrial/standard hydraulics are heavy little buggers. I've looked into pneumatics but with a 1" bore their ~250psi type operating pressure will only give me roughly 200lbs of force at peak psi. This isn't enough as the pressure will be the locking force for the gear, and pneumatics bleed pressure faster. Also, a simple hand pump will do nicely for hydraulics, but pneumatics get more interesting. I'll likely pass.

What I'm doing is putting retracts in a Hummel Ultracruiser build (I'm from Canada, we're not bound by the same weight limits on our ultralights as ultralight pilots here must be licensed and tested so the category's somewhat different). So the gear is extremely light, on the order of less than 10lbs per leg. I will be using an axle in the wing the gear leg's fitted to, with on offset arm manipulated inside the wing by the cylinder to rotate the gear up/down.

While I don't have to sweat the weight limit, I do still have to be concerned with weight. I'm looking to find an aluminum cylinder, or an alternative if somebody here has a bright idea. Using conventional cylinders will easily add 30lbs+ vs. fixed gear. A lot on a 270lb plane, I don't really need to add. Any leads? I'll also need a lightweight manual pump, something aluminum. I was thinking something from sail racing perhaps as I've seen backstay tensioner hydraulic pumps with aluminum bodies kind of along the right lines, but not quite. I have a 20 amp electrical system but wish to avoid any electrics in this system.

Back