• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quad copter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemill757

I've noticed the success of the quad rotor craft in the R/C world and wonder if they could be made into a full-scale man-carrying vehicle. My preliminary calculations show that a quad with 120" dia. x 60" pitch 2 blade rotors @ 500 rpm would need about 65 HP total (Rotax ? ) to make 245 lbs thrust each or about 980 lbs total thrust on a good day. Subtract 180 lbs for pilot, about 50 for fuel and 100 for power plant and that leaves about 500 for airframe, rotors, drive trains and a BSR in the middle! Independent collectives (joystick) and throttle for controls. Anyone else think this is doable? or am I a candidate for a rubber room at the nut hut?

Back