• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The effect of sweepback on adverse yaw on flying wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Newton

I have been thinking about adverse yaw as this seems to be the number one problem in the adequate control of swept flying wings. The key to a successful flying wing design (without fins) seems to me to design a simple means of negating the adverse yaw for all normal flight regimes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how wing sweepback effects adverse yaw? My inital thoughts are that it will get worse with increasing sweep for two reasons:
1. The increased dihedral effect will make greater control deflections necessary to achieve the same roll and therefore greater adverse yaw will be generated. (I suspect this is what is occuring on my current model which has 30 degrees sweepback).
2. The assymetric effect of the sweep as the wing yaws may cause increased drag on the wing halve on the outside of the roll/turn opposing the yaw/roll.

If anyone has any insight or data on this it would be much appreciated.

Back