• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

To Mig, Tig or oxy that is the question sort of....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michialt

Hello everyone, im a new member. I just placed my first order for Spruce and Tube for my second homebuilt. My first was a Volksplane VP1. Ive had the biplane bug for years, so Ive finally broke down and decided to build one.

Im actually planning to build sort of a hybrid of things from a few biplane plans to end with the plane for me. The dominant portion of the plane will be the Gere Sport, with some features from the Smith Mini and the EAA Biplane.

My first problem is with the welding, I cannot seem to find two people that can begin to agree on which method is best, and why its best.

Im pretty good with Oxy, and I have a lot of practice and learning to do if i go with electic of any sort. My preference is to use Mig or Tig. I would rather not store oxy in my garage right now.

Im sure this topic has been beaten to death, and im sorry for bringing it back. All i am looking for are reasons eith for or against their usage... If you can also toss in some places to learn to do both that could help to.

I currently own a Lincoln 100hd, and it can be adapted to either. And for now im just using flux core and tubing from home depot to try to learn electric. Tonight was my first go at it and all I have to say is that I got a lot of spark, and melted a bunch of metal... But im pretty sure it wont be staying together....

Back