• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Homemade engine preheater........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickathome

I don't have the luxury of a heated hangar(or a hangar at all for that matter) so was looking for ways to preheat my Cessna's 0-200 before I attempt an engine start in below 40 deg weather. I have one of those little torpedo heaters from back when I owned an old army truck, and used to crank it up when working in my unheated garage. I wanted to use this heater to preheat my plane and attemped my own home made preheater that attached to the torpedo heater. Wrong idea as it would have melted the cowling. So I went online and did a search and came up with this beauty.....Wish I could take the credit for its design but figure the next best thing I could do is show it around. I built an exact copy of this thing and it works in that it delivers warm air without the side effects of melting the plane. The trick is in its free standing design, which allows cold air to enter the hot air stream before it exits the tubing.......I haven't used it to preheat the plane's engine yet, but am going to try it this weekend. So for anyone who is looking for a cheap preheater (assuming you already have the torpedo heater as I do) this might be the ticket....

Home Page

Back