• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

taking the plunge, honda auto to aircraft conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slociviccoupe

^^^ like title says. Diving in and taking the plunge to converting a honda s2000 engine for aircraft use. Was going to go subaru route but ditched the idea when i realized i had a spare s2000 engine and with years of building and modifying them i trust one more than a subaru engine.

engine is in pieces right now but here is what ive thought of to adress so far.

stroking engine from 90.7mm stroke to 99mm stroke.

boring engine 1mm oversize from 87mm to 88mm bore.

new displacement with 88mm bore X 99mm stroke nets 2.5 liters.

changing valve guides to accept larger stem valves intake and exhaust. intake valves will be stainless and exhaust will be inconel.

cylinder head will remain stock as head flows 330 cfm stock, will be making long tapered runner intake manifold to boost low end tq and make peak hp before 5000 rpm.

cams and cam gears will be for low end power and max hp in the opperating range.

the vtec function will be disabled and its parts that make it function removed. (vtec solenoid, and vtec rocker, and spring that sits under the vtec rocker)

oiling in the cam caps for camshaft oiling will have its passages enlarged for more oil flow and more pressure to the camshaft and the cam towers.

Will be running a wet sump oiling system with a storage tank and an external pressure section. ( internal pump in the pan will scavvenge oil from the pan and pump it to the external oil tank, then the external presure pump will take oil from the tank and supply it to the engine.

thinking on under the valve cover spray bars that will spray oil onto the camshafts, rockers, and valvetrain for lubrication and even more so for additional cooling up top.

crankshaft from honda is forged from the factory but will gone over with oil gallies drilled, journals teardroped, shaped counterweights, straightened, nitirded, polished, then ballanced.

rods will be forged "I" beam design made from 4340 steel

pistons will be forged units from wiseco with ceramic coated tops and moly friction reducing coating on the sides

toying around with an idea of removing the aftermarket darton ductile iron sleeves that were installed and machining a one piece billet mono cylinder that is nickasil plated and having it pressed into the block. one reducing the weight of the engine, 2 incredible block strength, and 3 because nickasil bores expand same rate as the pistons and nickasil plating holds oil better and gets rid of heat better than the ductile iron sleeves would.

rod and main bearing clearances would be on the loose side of the scale something similar to a high hp forced induction engine. same for piston to wall clearances. on the high side of the manufacturers recomendations.

block already has factory piston cooling oil squirters the "J" type getting oil from the main oil galley, but may drill the main webs of the block and install thread in carb jet type squirters for even more piston cooling.

as for the psru will be going with the rotator gear box from southern airboats. There have been 1000hp big block chevy engine running these with no failures on airboats. their even putting clutches between them and the engine for racing. and still no failures. so the plans are an adapter plate for the honda to gm transmission. should be a no brainer bolt together.

engine management will be handled by an aem ems plug and play unit meant for the s2000. will be using vast aray and amounts of sensors feeding the ecu of all the data i can. 4 chanel wideband air/fuel, 4 chanel egt, engine oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, coolant temp, baro pressure, manifold pressure, manifold temp, ambient inlet air temp, prop shaft speed, and any thing else i can think of.

engine will be supercharged also with either a ati procharger, vortech supercharger, or rotrex supercharger.

Im sure im forgetting a few things but this is just my plan. there will be an external oil cooler, large enough radiator and a coolant swirl tank with radiator cap, will be a radiator for the water to air intercooler.

ill have some pics shortly but seing if anyone has any positive comments and maybe something to think of or adress if i forgot. multiple brains are better than one. im only shooting for 200-250 hp @ 5000 rpm with rev limiter at 5200 rpm.

motor mount will consist of 5 firewall mounts, 2 of the mouning points will be atatched to the mounting points on the reduction drive, and the other 2 mounting points will be from the side of the block where the honda motor mounts used to atatch to. so the engine will be supported the same way it was in the car in the middle by its sides, and the reduction unit will be atatched to the motor mount the way it is designed to be mounted on an airboat.

all this going on the back of a modified cozy mkIV design. but can't call it a cozy anymore. just a canard with cozy wings and general shape.

Back