• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Toyota 2.2 D-4D New Engine of Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kumaros

In the AeroCanard I want to build, having ordered the plans and expecting delivery thereof, I want to install a turbo-diesel auto-conversion.
I was contemplating the Mercedes Benz or Volkswagen 3.0 liter V6 225HP turbo-diesels, but their weight at ~ 450 pounds seems prohibitive; then I thought of two Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 liter 95 HP turbo-diesels, strapped together ala Leon brothers, twin-Suzuki Cozy, or at opposite ends of a Cozy/Defiant hybrid; the new engine of choice, however, outshining everything else in every discipline, weight, horsepower, torque, fuel consumption, seems to be the all new Toyota D-4D Clean Power turbo-diesel to be used in the Toyota Avensis and the Lexus IS: 2.2 liter, in-line four cylinders, 175 HP at 3600 RPM, 400 Nm (300 foot pounds) of torque from 2000 to 2600 RPM, all aluminum construction with cast iron liners, ~ 160 kg (~ 350 lbs.), manufactured in the all new Toyota factory in Poland with a capacity of 150000 engines a year.
For an article on the new Toyota Avensis and this engine, including a couple of pictures of the engine, go to:
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050301.011
With a cog-belt PSRU, to take advantage of the few HP above the torque peak at 2600 RPM, to take care of any resonance problems and to raise the prop-shaft, it should be the ideal engine for a Cozy/AeroCanard.
What do you think?

Last edited:
Back