• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Texas Pilot - First Plane, But Which One??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek884

I am a 28yr old pilot in Texas. I am looking to buy my first plane.

Budget $20K

Interests: Aerobatics, Cross Country Flying, Any Flying

Ideal Plane Traits:
-Low Cost
-Fuel Efficient
-High Cruise Speed
-Aerobatic Capable - wanted but not required

Planes I am looking at:

Pitts S1C -$15-20k - Great for aerobatics, but pretty much nothing else.
Acro Sport - $15-20k - Also great for aerobatics, but more docile
Varieze - $15-25k - Super badass efficiency. Awesome speed, fuel efficiency, and cool looking. Con - Low G loading, danger of wing root problems, low useful load
Dragonfly - $12-20k - Also efficient and fast. Cool, but bad reputation for landing.
Sonerai II - $8-15k - Decent cruise, super efficient, low cost, 6G loading

I think a RV or Long-EZ would problably fit the bill the best, but it is out of my price range.

So, it depends on the day, but tonight I am leaning toward the Sonerai II. It is a cheap, solid reliable plane that I can build up flying time at low cost and low financial risk. It also has the possibility of carrying a passenger, which is nice. (I'm 5'8" 160lb).

Here is one I am looking at:
BARNSTORMERS.COM
It's $12k with a almost new engine and it's near me. The only thing I worry about is I can buy much more of a plane for a few grand more. Will I regret this? 70hp Sonerai vs 105hp Varieze vs 160hp Acrosport

Also, another thing I am considering is I live in Houston. Hangar space is like $350 a month vs $50-100 for a tie down. I understand most of these planes should be hangared. Definitely the fabric/fiberglass. The Sonerai has fabric Fuselage and steel wings. Is this a problem? Would getting a plane cover solve the problem?

Anyhow, I am looking for some advice. I pretty much only know what I have searched on the internet. Am I looking at the right planes or should I be considering something else? What do you think about my choices?

Thanks!!

Derek

Back