• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First attempt to build which airplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeperrx7

Hi, I'm new here. I am a low time private pilot. I have around 145 hours. I witnessed a homebuilt gyro copter at my airport make a couple of test flights and I'm hooked. The thought of building my own aircraft is taking over my thoughts constantly! Its driving my wife crazy too!, lol. I don't want to built a gyro copter, but I do want to build a fixed wing. Not sure which direction I should go. Composite or metal? I love the Vans Aircraft line, but they are expensive for a homebuilt. I love the Varieze, Longeze, and the Cozy designs more though. They both have pros/cons when in flight and none of those are of concern. My concern is how many people have started building a composite aircraft before a metal frame aircraft or even a fabric covered aircraft. Is it logical to build a composite aircraft before an all metal airframe? Would it be harder? I have some experience with fiber glassing, but none building an airframe as of yet. I am confident in my abilities as I have been around the automotive industry for quite some time before I started working at my local airport. I even have most of the tools already. Spent $$$ on those tool trucks back in the day and yes it was worth it! I like the idea of building the aircraft in sections at a time as space is limited. Are there any type of fiberglass resins out there that do not require ventilation? I have neighbors that would not like the smells in my apartment, including the wife:gig:. Thanks for the info everyone! I like this site.:ban:

Back