• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thrust bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenaatXS

Hi,

I'm really desperate to find more info about thrust bearings (hydrostatic) used in auto conversions.
Many car engines have a small thrust bearing/washer on their crankshaft because when the clutch is pressed (non automatic gear boxes), their is an axial load on the flywheel, so also on the crankshaft.
This is the thrust bearing in my engine (this crankshaft was worn when I got the engine, I just use it for display):
oj43zq.jpg

33bgy9j.jpg

I can't help wondering if this small axial contact surface (ring with inner dia 58.5mm, outer 67mm or 2.3"-2.64") is strong enough to support a continuous load of 750 Newtons. (150lbs of thrust).
The bearing inside my running engine has two small radial grooves on the axial surface to provide more oil on that surface.

Can anyone, please give some info about this subject? Or pictures of thrust bearings used in actual production aircraft engines or VW-conversions....

Here's a video of it running:

Many thanks,

Renaat
(Belgium)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back