• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

A response and farewell to Ben Haas (member name STOL)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcj

Supporting Member
NOTE: I pulled these quotes from Rules of Conduct area because elements of my reply fit better under the General Experimental Aviation subforum since it addresses the issue of engineering modifications of homebuilts.

Please people, if you find some reason to take issue with this forum or it's members, do not delete all of your posts as member STOL did recently. It is very disruptive to the flow of the conversation where subsequent posts may build off previous comments. It is especially confusing to new members who come in, find posts of interest, and try to read them from the initial post onward.

The only possible reasons I can think of to delete a post is if you find that something might be considered inflamatory or outright false or one that accidentally divulges corporate or personal secrets, and even then, it is often better to correct the record with a new post, leaving the old post intact (with minimal editing if needed). To completely wipe all of your posts as some have done is inconsiderate and disrespectful to the rest of the community.

Bruce

Just to set the record straight.....

It became VERY apparent to me that anything that is not engineered is unsafe and since all the R&D I do on my plane is based on MY past experiences and since none of it has ever been engineered, I felt it prudent to remove every post I made to make sure any human being reading what I did succcessfully will not cause them any harm if they try to duplicate the same concept... Sorry to disrupt the engineering community... I am just a poor ol, dumb backyard mechanic and these experimental planes can and will kill people...

Good luck to all as this will be my last post in this forum....

Tailwinds...

Ben Haas.....

Well, best of luck to you too Ben, and to be clear, this was not aimed at you specifically, but to the practice in general. You just happened to be the last one to do it, so I invoked your name for an example.

To your reason, yes, many here will harp on the need for engineering, for there are others with no real experience who think that they can roughly copy, scale, or blindly modify a design, and to not forewarn them of the possible consequences would be irresponsible. That being said, there are those without engineering training that have enough real world hands-on experience that they have developed some level of intrinsic engineering knowledge, and they can successfully pull off an engineering modification. However, from afar, we cannot always make that judgment as to whether someone has that ability, so the afformentioned warnings go out just to be sure.

There are others who will argue with you about your design changes, and this forum acts as a meeting place for members to debate design issues and come to a concensus, or at least gain an appreciation/education. Though these debates sometimes take on a contentious tone, they are generally done in the spirit of friendship and mutual support. Sometimes, they will never result in a meeting of the minds, and it becomes necessary to "agree to disagree". Still, the conversation serves a purpose for all and acts to educate those with less experience.

So, I honestly wish you luck and we will miss your posts here. You are welcome back anytime... just next time, don't delete your posts ;).

Bruce :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back