• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Test pilot approval

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hey all,

So I am building our plane in syndicate with my good buddy, and there's some debate about who should test pilot it.
First question - are we allowed to have two test pilots because there are two builders (flying one at a time obviously), so we can share the 25 hours test flying?
Waiting 25 (or even 40) hours to fly our creation would stuck pretty hard. :para:

My buddy is an airline pilot with many thousands of PIC hours, back country strip experience, type ratings up to his armpits, instructors rating, the list goes on.... and I am the lowly private pilot of just 150 hours in a half-dozen GA aircraft (albeit ones like what we're building), but I am the majority owner and majority builder by quite a margin.
Question two, are the wise officials likely to deny me a test pilot approval in favor of my esteemed co-owner if we both applied? :ponder:

Basically, I dont like the thought of spending years building our pride and joy, only to be told I may not fly it.

JB

Back