• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flying Boat or Bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heroben

Hello to all here, this is my first post, although I've been lurking around this forum for over a year now.
Well, where to start????
Like everyone else here, my dream is also to build my own plane, but not any plane.
So, here is some of the info I gathered, will post more as the thread evolves.

Mission: Arctic Flight - From Barrow AK to Helsinki FI
Distance is 3524 miles or 3062 nautical miles or 5761 kilometers.
This distance is the theoretical air distance ( great circle distance).
This is the shortest theoretical flight path.

General Characteristics

Crew: 1 + one cat
Length: 25 ft 11.811023622047173 inches or 7.92 meters
Wingspan: 32 ft 9.700787401574757 inches or 10.00 meters
Airfoil: TO BE DECIDED
Powerplant: Ferrari V12 1985 testarossa ( bought on EBAY, hahaha)
Body Type: Monocoque
Wing type: Parasol with the classic Cabane struts
fuel: Regular gas
Fuel capacity: 450 gallons which will equal around 2000 pounds or more
Oil capacity: 50 gallons ( yup, keep an eye on that weight)
Empty weight: around 2000 pounds ( bit more depending on type of wood)
Max take off weight: around 5000 pounds
Range: 4500 miles
service ceiling: 15000 ft

I've been drawing multiple hulls ( hey its a seaplane), but Im stuck trying to find the proper airfoil.
Any suggestions?
Still have to consider multiple things like wood contraction and expansion on Sub-Arctic and Arctic conditions, weatherize and other wonderful things that make my day such a pleasure.
Shall we play?

Last edited:
Back