• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

So, what's the deal with a vacuum reservoir? And, about that pump oil.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyeurger

Billski mentioned that he had a vacuum cannister of some sort in line in his bagging setup. Anything that stabilizes or insures a more successful outcome in a vacuum layup is something I am very interested in.
Billski, if you're out there, or anyone who uses this reservoir, please explain:
1) I imagine the reservoir is directly in line to the bag and maintains pressure above the bagging pressure. Then, vacuum is maintained at desired pressure through a pressure valve between the reservoir and bag. Is this correct? If not, what are the uses/benefits of the reservoir?
2) Exactly what sort of ports/valves/gauges are needed in such a setup?
3) Does a reservoir allow you to shut off the vacuum pump (assuming an airtight bag)?
4) How long does everyone leave a vacuum on a layup (figure a 1 1/2 hour cook off)?

I have two candidates for a potential reservoir (please see photo). A paint pot and a small pressure tank (100 psi max) from a water filter system. In switching over from positive air delivery to negative one, does the hookup reverse? In other words, does the old bottle inlet become the new (vacuum) outlet?

On another note: Pump Oil. Every pump maker has THE best oil for their pumps. I have a suspicion that when you by a quart of this stuff you're paying $20.00 for their can and $3.00 for the oil. Anybody know of a generic oil that would be the same as what's offered by the manufacturers? Is it called anything but "pump oil"? Please don't say, "Yeah, it's also called compressor oil". The same could be asked on compressor oil.

As always, thanks a bunch for your input and illumination.
Gary
P1000989.jpg

Back