• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello from the frozen tundra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coltfarmer

I'm a new member from N central MT. I am a farmer, and own a Piper Colt. Before returning to the farm, I was trained, and worked as, a mechanic, welder and metal fabricator. We have a small fleet of vehicles and machinery, and do all of our own repairs, modifications and fabrication. I have a well equipped shop, and a son-in-law who is an A&P.

I've been fooling around with small airplanes for over 35 years, and have long been interested in homebuilding. I have reached a point in my life where starting a project seems reasonable (kids grown, educated and married). I would prefer to build from plans rather than a kit. One design which interests me is the Davis DA-2. Mostly, I suppose, because it isn't common. RV's are great airplanes, but they are kind of the bellybuttons of homebuilding (eveybody has one!). The Davis seems like an efficient design, and one that wouldn't break the bank. I'm also a decent woodworker, and would consider a design with a wood airframe.

I would appreciate any input. I live in a relatively remote area. There are quite a few other pilots around here (mostly Cubs and ag planes) but not any homebuilders. The web is a great resource for someone like me who lives in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks
Mark

Back