• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Android Tablet as EFB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlknolla

As I discussed in another thread a few weeks back, I have been using my Acer Iconia A500 10.1" android tablet as an Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) when flying and have found a series of what I feel are very good and useful apps. Almost all of them are free, with a few being one-time purchases of $5 or less, and the navigation/weather apps requiring a subscription which currently runs $4.95 monthly.

I say currently for the nav data subscription because FAA has been floating a proposal to charge for the digital data it currently gives away – suggested costs have ranged to as high as $150 per user, per year – so any potential user should be aware of that possibility, along with the other attempt to soak fliers with a new $100 per flight charge for the ‘privilege’ of using ATC.

With all that negativity out of the way, I offer the following snapshots of the screen of my A500 running Avilution’s AviationMaps, current beta version which offers splitscreen functionality, and the stock LumiRead PDF viewer. I use the Running Applications button in the lower status bar to switch between apps.

I have found that with a matte finish screen protector, the daylight legibility is good but requires the screen to be set at 100% brightness. Beware if you wear inexpensive polarized sunglasses, as they can have an interference with the screen protector.

Here is the homescreen, I use the GO Launcher EX launcher app, and a combination of HD Widgets, Widgetsoid, and the App Folders from Go here, it is clean and works very nice.

IMAG0018-1.jpg

Here is the App Folder launch screen for my Flying App Folder

IMAG0022-1.jpg

Here is the AvMaps app in Landscape

IMAG0026-1.jpg

Here is AvMaps with an Approach Plate in split screen

IMAG0021-1.jpg

AvMaps with Airport Data page in split screen

IMAG0019-1.jpg

AvMaps with Runway Data in split screen

IMAG0020-1.jpg

C-182 Pilot’s Operating Handbook using LumiRead

IMAG0023-1.jpg

Another page from C-182 POH

IMAG0025-1.jpg

All in all, I am very happy with this current approach, it is usable in the cockpit, and provides enhanced situational awareness when compared to flying with charts and a stopwatch like I learned to fly 25 years ago.

For a small or tight cockpit I would recommend a 7” tab vs. the 10” A500 for comfort.

AvMaps is a fantastic app, especially since it is free. Even with the nav data subscription it is cheap and extremely useful. My wish list for this app is to add rubber-band flight planning, and geo-referenced Approach Plates and Airport Diagrams – other than that this is a great app. With a live data connection it will display METARs for the airports on the chart, and will show NEXRAD. The developer is working on XM weather functionality.

Other apps I keep installed and use as needed while flying or on the ground:
  • Aircraft Lookup – great for checking N numbers
  • AirWx – great for checking AWOS/ASOS info for any airport in the US, can cache approach plates, airport diagram, AFD page, etc., has contact numbers for services and tower at field, provides one-push dialing for AWOS/ASOS
  • Antipaper Notes – I use this for notes and such, also use DScribble for touchscreen sketching
  • Appventive Weight & Balance – great app for wt & bal, but is paid app
  • Aviation Weather from NOAA/NWS – good weather app, includes forecasts, radar, winds aloft, etc.
  • E6B Flight Computer
  • Flight Plan Creator
  • Flight Plan Mobile
  • Flight Timer Lite
  • GPS Essentials
  • GPS Status
  • GPS Test
  • LumiRead
  • Mobile Aircraft Encyclopedia
  • Naviator – a solid competitor to AvMaps, similar subscription base, offers rubber-band flight planning on the map and recently added geo-referenced approach plates and airport diagrams (shows aircraft as it moves on the referenced chart/plate) – very cool
  • Stopwatch & Timer

The A500 makes a great EFB, and should only get better as more Android apps are developed.

Back