• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Junkers: flattened tube ends and spanwise tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culleningus

14398-junkers-flattened-tube-ends-spanwise-tubing-junk-ers.jpg

Probably the easiest way of connecting tubes to form a truss, is to belt the end with a hammer (or :) press), and drill a hole.
Its similarly straightforward with wing construction to use the said tubes spanwise to carry the +ve and -ve loads.

These are methods I think Junkers empoyed in their 'heyday' with the 'J1' etc.

Regardless of modern regs, these aircraft flew ok, didn't they, and if they failed what aspect of these methods was deemed to have contributed to any related failure of which I have no knowledge?

The flattened tube ends were supported by the metal skins, or by something else presumably in other places (but not in all!!) Take a look at the extent that this method was employed on this machine.

I'm not advocating such a method just questioning its validity.

http://www.greatwaraviation.com/forum/index.php?topic=1589.0

Dave

Attachments

• Junk ers.jpg
    Junk ers.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,877
Last edited:
Back