• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MoGas Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I've always heard that auto gas starts going stale after a month, and continues to degrade. I know you can put fuel stabilizer in it to keep it from going stale. But I've never seen an STC that says it's okay to put fuel stabilizer in an aircraft's fuel.

A friend just got a 500 gallon (above ground) tank, and put (ethanol-free) auto gas in it for his C-150 (that has a auto gas STC). I mentioned that it would start going stale in a month and mentioned fuel stabilizer. He said he has used auto gas in his planes from tanks stored for many months, without worrying about it going stale, and without using fuel stabilizer.

What's the truth here? Does auto gas go stale slower when stored in large tanks? I've never heard of that. Do low compression GA engines tolerate stale gas for some reason? Is stale gas safe to use in his plane? Is fuel stabilizer safe to use in aircraft fuel? Should my friend add fuel stabilizer to the fuel in his tanks? And if so, how much? It would take a lot to treat that much fuel if you use the normal mixing ratio on the fuel stabilizer bottle.

Back