• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ready to pull the trigger on a Sonex, unless you talk me out of it.(Newbie Questions)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Hi all,
I'm looking to start on a home built pretty soon, and I've almost made a decision, I would just like to see if I've missed anything. First I'll list my situation, goals, and decision criteria.

I started flying with the Canadian cadet program, achieving a private and glider license. I went on to become a glider instructor with that program. I then took a two year aircraft maintenance engineer program, but didn't finish my apprenticeship because I was accepted into the military as a pilot. I'm about half way through my training, and have some time between courses coming up. Whatever I build will be registered in Canada as an amateur-built, so I have no limitations in respect to stall speeds, gross weight, etc. I am 5'6" and 150lbs, a tight cockpit would be alright.

My goal is to start making parts now, and eventually put them together :gig:. I want to build from plans, mostly from sheet aluminum as this is where my experience is and I have the tooling. This will allow me to buy metal as I use up my stock, and easily store parts by avoiding bending anything until it's all ready for bending.

What I want from an airplane is
- Low cost.
- Fun to fly. Light, responsive, capable.