• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The thoughts on Coroplast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBNH

Thoughts on Coroplast?

I made quick reference to Coroplast in the Captive Column discussion and I think it would be nice to hear some opinions on it's use as an alternative to traditional materials in Light Sport Aircraft.

I hope everyone is familiar with the stuff. In my neck of the woods, there are 4 by 8 sheets of the stuff all along the road....saying vote for someone-or-other.

It is corrugated plastic...but unlike corrugated cardboard, it seems to have uniform square channels running through it. Like a hundred I-Beams laid side by side.

It has some flexibility...and there are R/C Airplane enthusiasts using it for virtually indestructible models...

www.spadtothebone.com

They talk of various mil thick versions. Some are very flexible, some aren't.

Where would I consider using it? Leading edge wing skins...in lieu of foam false spars and nose ribs. It could add strength and rigidity...and a smooth look. If it were light enough...an entire wing could be covered in it. I think Leading edges and control surfaces in the least could benefit from it.

I could also see a way to use it for fuselage panels... Imagine taking a design such as the Capella Javelin....welded cage with a single aluminum tail boom...adding some coro bulkheads over the boom, and skins and you could create an enclosed high wing monoplane. A maintenance free skin that can be decorated with signmakers vinyl lettering/striping/etc.

Might also be applicable to the semi-scale market. I, personally would love an O-1/L-19 birddog. I think it could be made around a similar cage/boom design to the javelin.

Sure there's a weight penalty...but using its own structural rigidity would allow for few to no stringers (it has it's own internally), and few bulkheads...and it can be glued-up. Ease of construction. (and, being waterproof, it might be a better option for the person attempting the cardboard and duct tape airplane...I see a coroplast challenge coming on.)

Crazy? I think too much...

Last edited:
Back