• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

First flight/test flight period...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALL911

I recently purchased a fully built Falcon XP, and just brought it in to town the other day. Today I assembled everything (it was transported in a trailer with the wings off), and had it inspected by the FAA and had everything transferred in my name. The FAA inspection went well, and the plane passed just fine.

The Falcon has 0 hours of flight time in it (the Rotax 503 has 16 hours on it). I have the test criterea, area I need to test fly it in, and just wanted to get some final opinions.

I have already taxied the plane a ton. I plan on a bit more before taking off for the first time. Reading all I could find on the Falcons, and flying them, it seems that most say once you are off the ground, just keep going up and stay in the pattern. Although I agree with staying in the pattern, the FAA FSDO told me he reccomended I get it barely off the ground, then put it back down to get a feel for things before taking it up to the pattern. Any thoughts on this?

After I am comfortable with it knowing the engine won't fail on me, and that it is indeed airworthy and capable of safe flight, I plan on taking it further away from the airport and trying some slow flight, and stalls, along with some steep turns (45 degrees max). Really past that I just plan on logging what I see and feel in the plane.

The test period is only 10 hours, so I just wanted to put this up for opinions in case my thinking is not right, or there is something else I should be considering.

Back