• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Talk sense into me... Please... VariViggen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

Hey all,

Need someone to smack some common sense into me:roll: As my brains caught an idea, and won't let it go...

Remember Rutans bastard child? The variviggen - kinda got left behind as the gangly - slightly misshapen offspring...

viggenite03.jpg

Ran across this derivative (Viggenite) - I REALLY like how the variviggen looks with a proper nosecone (and since she usually needs some extra nose weight...)

Would I be completely out of my flippin mind - and in for a world of pain, if I was to start building a variviggen in rhino - modify the nose and canopy (likely using the TLAR methodology) - and plan to kick out templates - to build the VV in the foam/fiberglass methods used by it's progeny? Obviously I'd have to sit down and do some significant math on spar design and weight distribution; but it is even slightly feasable - or best left to someone with a bunch of letters after their name? :) A little hangar chat last week (may have involved wobbly pops) - friend with a VariEZ was suggesting it was very do-able... Course he also said the same about the 350 into the chevette, and I see that's still in his driveway missing a firewall so... :gig:

I'm Terrible with wood... I'm getting the hang of foam/fiberglass playing with RC planes recently - and my CNC foam hotwire - I'm noticing would scale nicely - with just some new 8020 / linear bearings and leadscrews... :) Only seems appropriate to build mostly in foam when you own the tools to really work with foam...

Thanks in advance!

Back