• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DS43.2.7 - December 2008

After a hiatus to focus upon my graphic design and marketing business, I've started doing some small refinements again to
Topaz

DS43.2.7 - December 2008 After a hiatus to focus upon my graphic design and marketing business, I've started doing some small refinements again to

Topaz you seem more up on design concepts than Myself but it seems to me that the swept wing would have far greater pitch stability....just my thinking....TLAR method (that looks about right). What do you think about Jim Maupins Carbon Dragon? I know very little about sail planes but the Carbon Dragon has always facinated me. Maybe I will attempt one if I live long enough.

Once you dig into the math, you find out that stability can be dialed in for practically any shape or planform. My design above has about 8% positive static stability margin at the design CG position - about the same as most sportplanes. It's all about the relative positions of the CG and neutral point.

I like the Carbon Dragon. It's a pity that Jim's family won't sell the rights to the plans, or distribute plans themselves. That design is dead now, simply out of fear. Too bad.

Media information

Album
A tailless "flying plank" sailplane.
Added by
Topaz
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename