• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

W10 Tailwind V8 powered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly-Tailwind

The engine is an aluminum Olds 215 V8.. stroked to 265ci. A Buick 300ci crank will fit with only minor mod. I did a normal rebuild with all new technology stuff. IE. hyperutectic pistons. It is mounted inverted, no big deal here, some new oil drain holes. There is a simple aluminum strap mounted just above the lifters to keep them from falling out in case of a rocker failure or some thing. OIL pump, it is mounted externally by the factory so that is easy to deal with. An almost flat cover will replace the pan. I built a new oil tank out of the right valve cover and drained the left one into it. A line from the oil pump goes down to the tank. Yes it pulls oil up just fine... NO, there isn't a problem with oil in the cyl. It puffs a little smoke on start up and never has had a hydraulic lock.
Direct drive, a normal bell housing is used. A prop shaft extension runes through the hole in the bell housing which has an adapter with a ball bearing mounted in it. The prop end of the shaft is made with a tapper and key way to fit older style prop hub. Continued in next post.

I have a web site at, https://sites.google.com/site/tailwi...olds-v8-engine

Last edited:
Back