• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Single Struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarylP

Hi everyone,
I know this is a basic question for most of you and although I can research it online, I like getting info from you all too.

I was curious as to the design of a wing structure that allows a manufacturer to use a single strut as opposed to the dual V struts (and jury struts). I am sure that the single strut design has a lot less drag, but is it as strong as the dual? The wing itself has to be redesigned I would think, when doing a single strut, so that it would distribute the loads better.

Then there is the Wilga (and others) that use a cantilevered wing, which in my limited knowledge I figured would never work on such a plane that lands in rough terrain. It uses a larger spar that runs straight through to get it's strength...right?

I was looking at pictures of two of my favorite planes, the Bear Hawk Patrol and the Highlander. I had not noticed before that the Patrol uses a single strut while the Highlander uses the dual V struts. These are similar (just as the Wilga) aircraft in that they are all used as STOL aircraft, but yet three different wings (strut vs no-strut) designs.
If you were to design a STOL aircraft, which would you use, and why?

Thanks,

Daryl

Back