• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Let's tell our own stories about the fastest climbs ever experienced!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinote

Hello fellow soaring enthusiasts:

I thought it might be interesting to relate fabulous non-motorized climbs, as experienced by all participants.

I'll relate mine first--and I invite others to add to this thread:

My best climb occurred in a thermal in the Owens Valley of California, on the White Mtn (east) side of the valley, on a summer afternoon in July of 1981. working north out of the Lone Pine Airport, I experienced variable conditions and was not in the most desirable location at or near the top of the ridge. As I passed over the highway heading toward Westgard Pass in the White Mts I saw Black Mountain ahead and began thinking about whether I might be able to make Bishop Airport ahead to the north.

Instead, and just as I approached the Black Mtn area, I suddenly felt a soft, smooth increase in my (apparent) weight; at the same time the vario came to life and the audio just kept increasing its tone. I decided to bank into this area which I did gingerly, all the time the vario is singing its siren song higher and the needle just keeps rising. I told myself this couldn't be a thermal, it's not turbulent.

Bottom line is, the vario needle finally just disappeared at the top limit of the scale, and when I looked out the window I had the feeling of being on board the fastest elevator in history, with Black Mtn receding below me at an amazing rate. After finding that the thermal was something like a mile wide and getting some (welcome) altitude I decided the only way to get some accurate idea of the strength (the vario as pegged was totally useless) I zeroed my Casio wristwatch in timer mode and then started it when I passed a notable altitude as indicated on the altimeter (tapped THAT sucker, continuously). A 60-second result revealed an achieved climb rate of about 3000 ft/min.

It's still amazing to me after all these years. The smoothness of the entry and while fully under the influence of the thermal is totally opposite to similar experiences in the high country soaring environment east of the Sierra Nevada range of California. There was definitely no wave action to augment the lift.

An experience to remember, and to share with others IMO.

Bill

Back