• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

LSA Motorglider concept

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rienk

My dear Smee - I've had an epiphany!

• I've heard (but not yet verified) that you can get a glider rating with less hours than an LSA.
  • A glider rating does not require a medical (similar to LSA).
  • A factory built LSA can be a glider (ready to fly S-LSA).
  • Gilder pilots do not have as many restrictions as Sport pilots (though I don't yet know how they compare)
  • A motorglider can tool around chasing thermals, or stay under power all its life, cruising cross country.
  • There are only two types of LSA that can use retractable gear; an amphib - and a glider.

Therefore:
  • Design an LSA as a motorglider, and you can include retractable gear.
  • Offer trainng for either Sport pilot or glider ticket.
  • Motorgliders do not necessarily need stellar climb rates.
  • Design with an engine more suited for cruise power than climb power (within reason).
  • With retractable gear, you can attain the maximum level speed with much less power/fuel required.
  • A lower cost engine is thus viable.
  • Chase thermals or travel distances with power - freedom of choice!
  • Be able to sell such a ready to fly (two seat) aircraft for under $40k.

At max LSA weight, stall speed with a high AR wing could probably be met with a wing loading of 11-12 psf.
To be able to fit in a sta ndard T-hangar (even though the wings will be removable) the span should be no more than 38-39'.
An AR of 12 gives a span of 38', with a chord of 38", and a wing area of 120 sf (11 psf).

Questions:
  • What qualifies as a "motorglider"?
  • Are there certain criteria that need to be met?
  • Does this idea seem plausible?

Back