• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why split pins are the safest option for securing bolted connections

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Tyrkiel

Hello, I don't post much these days, but I thought this may be useful.

A salesman from nord lock came in to the place I work at the other day to peddle their special washers and showed us a vibration test using various nuts (plain, nyloc, ovalised, and their own of course) and the graph attached is the result. On the vertical is the clamp load of the joint, and on the horizontal is time (of the vibration test).

The results for standard nuts and nylocs and other wonderful but standard fittings got me the chills. Basically they will lose all of the clamping load and the joint will fail at some point.

The only thing that would hold was their thing and split pins. He also showed that a double nut but tightened using the 'top' nut only holds for many times longer than others but will lose the load eventually anyway.

I'm not affiliated with this company, but this being a critical element in aircraft that are to carry us safely and give us pleasure, I thought I'd post it here.

regards

Daniel

Attachments

• washers.jpg
    washers.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 610
Back