• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Engine Oil Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippydiesel

That is not correct. The by-pass valve prevents oil starvation when cold, thick oil is clogging the cooler. It also prevents oil starvation if the cooler becomes clogged with debris/sludge. Dependant on the susceptibility of the cooler to these issues, the latter functions can be vastly more important than a fast warm-up. The by-pass does need to be checked, including for correct orientation. Removal for test purposes is reasonable. However, the first priority in this instance is check and calibration of the instrumentation - replacing the instrument does not in itself assure that the temperature data is correct.
Don't know what oils you are using , under what conditions but your knowledge would seem to pre date the use of multigrade & synthetic oils. Sludge? Cold . thick oil? - ancient history my friend. We now have oils that start at 0 (not that I like the idea) that pour like water, when cold and detergents that have consigned "sludge" to the memory of my youth.

Back