• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Done it again...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

...getting a little side-tracked that is.

I was browsing 'craigslist' for airplane stuff, something to do while having a tea break and came across the headline "Airplane" ; nothing more. Looked into it it and it turned out to be a 1942 Aeronca L3B. Looked a little further into it and decided it wanted me badly. And the price was right.

Some of you may remember a Fairchild 24 that somehow ended up in my shop; well that one went to somebody who really needed it more than I did, but this L3B is a keeper. I didn't know much about them at first, but it's a great little airplane! I like the four longeron fuselage and the fact that they built it 2" wider than the previous models (TC and TL 50/65), the rear seat is raised above the front, and by light airplane standards is as roomy as the average cathedral. The rear seat could probably take the cushions from your favorite Lazy Boy recliner.
Solos from front seat, everything dirt simple, no electrics. this airplane was bought war surplus by an A&P who flew it for many years until he decided to give it a rebuild. he re-gusseted all the ribs with ply; the originals had some kind of glorified cardboard, recovered the wings , but that was where it stayed. In a dry barn in Fallbrook, north of San Diego.

Picked up the airplane Tuesday from Fallbrook by U-Haul. There are advantages to rebuilding light aircraft as opposed to heavy iron - you can manhandle most of the parts and you don't even need a hoist for 65 hp Continental. Had two guys help me load,was on my own unloading, but I managed without causing any damage. I have only had the briefest of looks at what I have and so far I'm quite happy. The wings had just been covered (sometime in the 70s), and stitched, but no dope. It will all come off again, but it served to keep them nice and clean inside. I cut a couple of holes just to have a quick peek and it looks fine, not one broken rib and just a hint of rust on some fittings. Some fabric on the spare tailplanes still has "1942" stencilled on it.

Fuselage and other stuff is covered with decades of dust, but very little rust. I seem to have three sets of tailplanes, several elevators, spare ailerons, pedals and other bits and pieces. Plus one complete and one bare A-65. I don't have false hopes that these will turn out to be perfect when I open them up, but they may be ok as cores, they were stored in a dry climate at least. I once opened up a Ranger that sat outside in Maine(!) since the 40s and was surprised at how well it survived on the inside.

Nice to start a project with a more or less complete airplane. Had to try the cockpit, of course since I never sat in an L3. Promptly crashed through the canvas sling, which was pretty brittle, but after replacing it with a board was surprised how roomy and comfortable it is, both front and back. Lots of headroom and you're not limited to size 8 shoes to operate the pedals from the back, like in a Cub. Love it.

Had a look through the logs and paperwork and found, unfortunately that the gross weight is listed at 1260 lbs, whereas I have some manuals that list it at 1300, which would be a useful thing. I'll have to look into that, see if I can get it raised.

I won't really get going with this until my homebuilt gets out of the shop, but I am making an inventory and will make a start on bits and pieces.

Attachments

• tempo 005.jpg
    tempo 005.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 407
  • tempo 002.jpg
    tempo 002.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 321
  • tempo 003.jpg
    tempo 003.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 320
Back