• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Anyone building a Sonex?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickathome

I'm still narrowing down my choices in homebuilt aircraft. I'm getting my list refined further by considering many options. I've been looking at the Sonex website recently. Was wondering if anyone can convince me that maybe this is the way to go.

Pluses- Seems like a good choice from a dollar standpoint, kit seems very well thought out. Have read alot of good things about the company. Its all metal which is my no. 1 choice of materials. Engine isn't that expensive. Can be trailered. Tri- or tail dragger. Two place.

Negatives - Is about the ugliest plane I've ever seen. I just can't get over that hideous canopy and weird ass instrument panel. And the wimpy spinner leaves alot to be desired. The useful load isn't that great. Two big adults and you can't get off the ground unless you leave half your fuel behind.

Anyone building a Sonex? If so, what sold you to this kit and not another from another company?

Last edited:
Back