• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Units in Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragflyer

The US of course still does a significant portion of its airplane design in FPS/US customary units and all my design texts/references by US authors use this system. I noticed of the two texts I have by European authors (Chris Heinz and Vittorio Pano) are in MKS (or MKFS) system which uses Kilogram as a unit of force (kgf) rather than mass as in the SI system. These two texts are relatively new (published in the last 10 years) and I was expecting to see SI units exclusively in Europe.

My question is if this is typical for European light airplane designers? Or are these two authors exceptions. What about Australia and UK? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back