• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to aviation like to tinker with stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyby50

Supporting Member
I always liked aviation been into RC model aircraft since 1980's couldn't afford full size aviation until now, but of course like lot of people a class 3 medical would be an uphill adventure after a consult with an AME decided to just go light sport for now. He said I probably would eventually be approved, but at an unknown cost right now it's taking 3-8 months to get response from FAA in OKC. Instead of waiting 1-2 more years of my life to get in the air ill just go light sport and get in the air now. Maybe if things change with the backlog and maybe I want to build a EAB kit plane Ill try to get a class 3.

I like to tinker with engines built some turbocharged engines. Got into 2 stroke marine engine was able to boost 200 HP V6 2 stroke into 250 HP I can weld I have a garage full of tools. I wondered if anyone ever tried to use a power head from a Mercury 200 HP V6 2 stroke on an aircraft. They are fuel injected might be able to find one the power head can be removed easily the starter and alternator all built into the power head.

Back